Replacing personal documents lost in a disaster is a time consuming job. The list below should assist you with the replacement process. There are links to many helpful Web sites, including government agencies, credit card companies and vital records departments.
Financial Records and Documents
It might be wise to invest in a fire- and water-proof box if you keep documents at home and don't want to invest in a safety deposit box at a bank. If you keep important documents at home, put them where they're easy to find during an evacuation or other emergency.
Questions for Your Attorney
If you suffered loss from a natural disaster, you may want to contact an experienced natural disaster damage attorney for advice.
You may want to ask your attorney the following questions:
- Will my insurance cover the cost of replacing personal documents that were lost in a disaster?
- How much experience do you have with victims of natural disasters?
Related Resources on Lawyers.com sm
- Cancel a Membership or Subscription
- Tax Relief When Disaster Strikes
- Natural Disaster Insurance Claims
- Insurance Q and As: Natural Disasters
- Natural Disasters
articles and information
- Selecting a Good Insurance Lawyer
- Find an Insurance Lawyer
in your area
- Visit our Insurance Claims message board
for more help